Grays Harbor Historical Seaport has been selected for a 3-year, $512,000 grant to implement The Seafarer Collective.
The Seafarer Collective is a new kind of seamanship training program, open to the general public, designed to provide a solid foundation of job skills and support for those seeking to enter family-wage jobs in the commercial maritime industry. Based on data showing that GHHS crew training has led our sailors to jobs in the maritime industry, we’ve been selected for a 3-year, $512,000 grant from the Bellevue-based Magic Cabinet Foundation to implement TSC. For background, you can read all about the worker shortage in this industry here. TSC will include:
- 72 need-based full scholarships for people ages 18 to 35 to participate in TSC. Priority will be given to applicants who would otherwise have barriers to the industry. Everything is included down to the work gear.
- 10 $2,000 merit-based crew development scholarships per year for GHHS crew to obtain USCG licensing.
- 3-4 educational panels each year in communities around Washington state. These free events will feature a group of working mariners talking about their career at sea.
- Vessel open houses in 8-10 communities each year where people can come learn about Seafarer Collective and maritime work.
- Modernized training on GHHS vessels including an all-new training curriculum, 2x year life raft deployment, immersion suits, crew “field trips” to see other types of vessels, visiting speakers, podcasts, training videos, and more.
TSC’s pilot season will launch summer of 2018.
Our heartfelt thanks to Historical Seaport supporters. Your continued involvement has made this major step possible.