Grays Harbor Historical Seaport is seeking a new team member to come aboard in a new role, as Port Captain for tall ships Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain.
This position is vessel-focused, with the important responsibilities of crew staffing, vessel maintenance planning, overseeing vessel operations, booking moorage, and maintaining a high standard of operations. The right applicant will have maritime experience, keen administrative/computer skills, and be driven by making a positive impact within the maritime sphere.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The application window closes September 1, 2017, or when the position is filled.
A full job description is provided as a PDF below. Desired qualifications include:
- Tall ship sailing experience
- Merchant mariner’s credential preferred
- Nonprofit administrative experience preferred
- Leadership skills along with a collaborative work style
- Understanding and experience in working with volunteers
- Advanced knowledge of or the ability to learn Seaport programs
- Ability to multi-task, juggle competing priorities and delegate to others
- Willingness to work closely with the Executive Director and vessel Captains
- Transparency, honesty, and a strong work ethic
- Strong ability to manage people, including all HR needs such as hiring and firing
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Vessel crews of Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain
Hours per week: 40, flexible schedule. On call for two to three weekends per month.
Compensation: Salaried exempt at $3750 to $4000 monthly plus benefits. $5,000 plus benefits per month when aboard vessel filling any paid crew position.
Location: This position may be required to fill in as crew on emergency basis with short notice. This position will work remotely for the majority of time, but will be expected to report to the Aberdeen, WA home office for two weeks for training at the outset. Regular visits to the vessels will also be required, dependent on the season, needs, and vessel location(s).
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Port Captain Job Description GHHS 2017